I Hate Working From Home: Flexible Schedules Aren't For Everyone

0 Comments
I love companies that understand flexible schedules and work locations. Everyone is different and shouldn't have to play by the same rules during every stage of their life. For example, giving new parents the option to work from home is great! To avoid driving in icy weather is great! However, I've experienced how some take advantage of this freedom. I've also experienced how I personally respond to that freedom. It is not for me. And here's why.
  1. Multi-tasking to the max
    • Working from home, now you aren't limited to just the email, phone, instant messenger, piles of papers and software programs. It expands to the dishwasher, the TV, the dryer, the doorbell, the dog, and the list goes on. There are so many distractions and "to do list" items to get done that well, nothing gets done. Nothing gets your full attention because you try to do it all. I am a devote list maker and when I'm at home sometimes it overlaps which doesn't help me be productive at all.
  2. Proximity to home
    • Having definite boundaries between home and work is important if you want to achieve balance. But when the door to your office is precariously close to the kitchen, you drop in and out so often that the physical boundaries are hardly there. Having a snack or a dog walk in the middle of the day might seem like a good way to "clear your head" before hunkering down but it doesn't work for me. The mental boundaries aren't there either as people often work late into the night just because they can.
  3. Technical difficulties
    • Whether it is your phone forwarding to your cell, connection through too many firewalls, or just working on your laptop keyboard instead of a external one, there is always something that will slow you down. It is awkward using my desk even with the extra monitors. It takes longer to connect to the servers and get information. And it is always frustrating when technology is the thing standing between you and getting things done.
How do you feel about working for home? Love it? Hate it? Does the freedom make you more productive or does it just give you the illusion of it?


You may also like

No comments :

Follow me on Blogarama