Focus the Light: 3 Ways To High"light" You

2 Comments
I'm planning a recessed lighting project in my living room and it can be a complicated question as to where each of the lights is installed. It is a bit tricky determining exactly how far away and at what angle you place a focused light on a piece of art, a couch, and general ambiance. This is where my inspiration comes from this week, light . Just like lights in a living room, how do highlight certain accomplishments and skills of your own?
  1. Direct accent light or promoting yourself
    • When looking for a new job or promotion, you are forced to "toot your own horn" during interviews and reviews. You have to strategically sell yourself and tell people "yes, I am the best person for the job and this is why". It may seem egotistical to self-promote, but honestly you are the only person that knows the exact input and output of your work. Others wouldn't know the six failed attempts before the finished product unless you tell them how tough a problem it actually was. When consciously and carefully done, placing yourself in the spotlight can be the right decision.
  2. Ambient light or subtle and passive marketing
    • General room lighting is like relying on your work to speak for itself, which is best for every day use. Without a doubt, your actions speak louder than your words and results are better than shamelessly promoting yourself. If done well, your team will be rock stars or shining stars and complement each other so everyone gets credit. We know we can't do it all by ourselves!
  3. Natural light or in other words, no endorsement
    • Although the sun does have all of that vitamin D that is so good for us, the sunlight that comes and goes every day is easy to forget about. We expect it, rely on it, and take it for granted. When your work becomes an afterthought, you aren't being remembered or recognized! Do not leave it to chance, luck, or time and be proud of your efforts. If you don't want to do it yourself, find an advocate (or a contractor in the case of the living room) to do this light work for you.
I will post pictures when/if my living room project is completed. In the mean time, do you struggle with bragging about your efforts? Are you your own light, or do you shine on others and praise their work? I think you should do both!


You may also like

2 comments :

  1. Very creative. I have a very hard time tooting my own horn. I spend most of my time helping others see a strong point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Donna! I love learning that you are a reader!! One idea to help you self-promote is to make a pact with a coworker: I'll say something good about you to your boss if you say something nice about me to my boss. Then you won't feel like you are bragging or that it is unfair.

    ReplyDelete

Follow me on Blogarama