How to Make the Best New Year's Resolutions

0 Comments
It is that time of year again, when the calendar clicks over one digit and for some reason we all get obsessed with the change we wish to see in ourselves. How long does that last? Here are my 3 tips on how to make resolution that you can actually stick with.

  1. February
    • The number one resolution you should keep is this one: "I promise to revisit my resolutions in February." It takes 21 days to make a habit (or any relative routine that The Power of Habit book suggests) so make a plan to reevaluate how you are doing. Even if you don't keep the resolution past January 2nd, you can at least meet the resolution of measuring how poorly you're doing.
  2. Stop and start
    • Some of the best advice I've read on this subject is to make 2 types of resolutions: start doing something that you want to and stop doing things you don't want to. Instead of thinking of it as "I will stop hitting the snooze button", say "I will start waking up earlier by finding a new way to wake up". You already know the snooze button doesn't work. Putting the clock across the room didn't work. Even the dog jumping on you didn't work. Just like Edison and the light-bulb, you only need to find one way that works and you keep a resolution by just trying!
  3. Fun and Long
    • Why do resolutions have to be stressful things to become a better person? Think of this list as a way to achieve that "before I die" bucket list  Set a goal of seeing one of the wonders of the world (recommended by 5 years book), climb your first 14er, or bake your first apple pie from scratch. For me in 2013 I plan to do some sightseeing of my own state and visit the microbreweries of Colorado. Life is so much more interesting with goals like that!
Happy 2013 everyone! What New Year's Resolutions are you pledging this year? List one below!


You may also like

No comments :

Follow me on Blogarama