3 Ways to Accomplish Something When You Have No Talent

0 Comments
When it comes to artistic talent I am naturally good at playing music and writing but definitely not painting. I went to my first wine and painting at Whimsy Paint and Sip and with high spirits and a floppy hand, my canvas picture actually turned out okay! I don't know about you, but I am sure that I am my own worst enemy when it comes to doing new things like art projects. I doubt my abilities and overthink my actions and soon it becomes impossible to meet my own expectations. This uncertainty can be true in business situations like your first presentation to senior executives. You know the basic skills (holding a paint brush vs talking, mouse clicking) but putting those skills together in a new way can make you choke. What are some ways to overcome your own second-guessing and come out on the other side with a finished product?
  1. Break it down
    • The painting teacher separated our artwork into 5 easy steps but even that was difficult to know where to start. She made it sound so easy "just dab here like this". But no matter what I did, mine did not turn out like I intended (oh no I messed up, try to fix this, oh no, now fix that, oh no...etc.). My advice? Start small and stay small. Make a mark and just go with it. Never try to guess where you are going because it will change as you work. Your reflexes and true abilities will shine through as long as you don't look at the big picture all at once.
  2. Ignore others
    • Like the "imagine your audience in their underwear" when public speaking, a good tactic is to ignore the people around you. If you are comparing yourself to others it will do nothing to your confidence when you are brand new to something. Put your head down and focus on your own work. Even during breaks or dealing with curious onlookers, be positive and just focus on your masterpiece.
  3. Know when to stop
    • Learning the lesson of "good enough" is tough. When correcting things or perfecting things, you can keep going forever and then you will never have a finished product! When you reach a point in which you are happy with it, just STOP! Put the pencil down and walk away. Don't come back in 10 minutes or tomorrow for edits because I can guarantee you will make changes. Don't worry about it. Take pride in your work and what you accomplished as a beginner. Your peers and managers will understand. Afterwards, after your finished product, then you can receive further coaching... but apply it to the next time!
Here is my robin, the best piece of my acrylic artwork. What new skill have you tried lately? Did you worry throughout it? Did you finish it? Are you proud of it? Tell me about your experience (or just share your wine and paint art piece)!

Spring robin bird



You may also like

No comments :

Follow me on Blogarama