What I Learned from Kicking Men in the Balls

0 Comments
Denver doesn't seem all that safe of a place at night. In fact, if you regularly read the news it seems like there is nowhere that is safe. It can make some people (including me) uneasy. So I did something about it and over the weekend, I attended a class on RAD (Rape, Aggression, Defense) held by the Denver Police Department. It was an invigorating experience and when I say I practiced kicking the crap out of men, I mean literally, kicking the crap out of 3 250+ lbs. 6'4" men. What better way can you learn to gain the confidence of doing something when the circumstances require it than actually doing it? It got me thinking of all the other learning experiences I've had that made that much of a memorable impact on me and why.
  1. Nothing teaches better than the real thing (or near real thing)
    • When I turned 15 (waaaay back then!) my parents signed me up for Masterdrive. The most memorable thing was the 20 minutes of skid pad practice to simulate hydroplaning. The loss of control is scary! And then you can slowly work past the fear and survive. It was the same thing at RAD class: if someone grabs you, first you scream and freeze; but then you bust out your muscle memory and hit them! I don't think all of the textbook knowledge in the world can teach you how to react in those situations other than practicing the actual thing.
  2. A majority of participants have to be really into it
    • With over 25 attendees all shouting at the top of their lungs "NO!", there was no doubt in my mind of the skills we were gaining. The confidence in our defense skills grew because the attendees had a desire to be there. Not every class is like that (you've all probably experienced rolled-eyes or intentionally long breaks) and so I encourage everyone to be that classroom initiator. Physically and vocally display your reason for spending your weekend learning an optional skill.
  3. The passion starts with the instructors
    • The teachers at Masterdrive and RAD are doing this for a reason and they deserve to see #2. They truly believe that preparedness is the best way to stay safe and so they train people to be self-sufficient. It is the same philosophy of giving a fish or teaching to fish. I'm thankful for those that are passionate enough to pass along their wisdom and commit to doing these activities on their days off.
If you want to take a RAD class, look up one near you. Or take these lessons and apply it to your next experience in which you are hesitant to sign up and learn a scary but necessary skill. What experience have you had like this? Maybe skydiving is next...

I'm prepared to knee, kick, and punch some "aggressors"!



You may also like

No comments :

Follow me on Blogarama